Stuff White People Like
1. Coffee. I only started drinking coffee in the last year, but now I enjoy my Vanilla Latte with Whip (used to be lots of whip, but I had to stop that).
35. The Daily Show/Colbert Report. I will admit I don’t catch the news as much as I should and sometimes I get that news from these awesome shows.
40. Apple Products. I was always a PC user until last year when I bought my MacBook Pro and I will never go back! I also have an iPod Touch but no iPhone.
42. Sushi. Godzilla Roll, California Roll, Tampa Roll… Om nom nom!
47. Arts Degree. If only I could go back and get the Art Degree I always wanted to get. /sigh
120. Taking the Year Off. Who wouldn’t like to take a year off?
11. Asian Girls. 104. Girls With Bangs. Haha, I’m both of these and I like myself most of the time.
Full list of Stuff White People Like
The Professor and the Madman
by Simon Winchester
My Rating (1-5): 4 ♥
It doesn’t seem like a story about The Oxford English Dictionary would be that interesting, but throw in a madman and you’ve got a intriguing novel. A good mix of the stories behind some of the major people involved and informative history about the making of the OED.
Oxford English Dictionary Facts
- est. 5 million quotations submitted by contributors and 1,861,200 quotations were used in the first edition of the dictionary
- William Shakespeare is the most-quoted writer, with Hamlet his most-quoted word
- It took approximately 70 years to finish
- James Murray was the editor (the professor)
- Dr. William Chester Minor was a major contributor to the dictionary (the madman)
- First Edition: 10 volumes, 15,490 pages & Second Edition: 20 volumes, 21,730 pages
Author: Jim Butcher
Series: Dresden Files Book 12
Didn’t realize this series already has 12 books. Well, I still enjoy reading them. Easy storyline to follow, language isn’t difficult, there is humor and fantasy, and I like the main character. This series is good for someone who likes fantasy and wants a lighter read where the action and story moves quickly.
My rating: 3 stars
How creative! Instead of despairing at the lose of their library, this town converts an old phone box into a library, stocking books, CDs and DVDs.
The BBC: small article about Britain’s smallest library
Learn Your Damn Homophones Page
Homophones (noun): two or more words having the same pronunciation but with different meanings, origins, or spelling.
Maybe I should post this somewhere for myself because I do get confused on some of them.
The last book in Jim Butcher’s Codex series. I loved this series and he did an excellent job with the last one. I wish he wasn’t ending the series.
These are the few children’s books that have left a mark on me. I look forward to reading them to my own child one day.