- peanut oil: 6 cups
- cornmeal: 1 1/2 cups self-rising
- flour: 1/2 cup self-rising
- baking soda: 1/2 teaspoon
- salt: 1/2 teaspoon
- onion: 1 small, chopped
- buttermilk: 1 cup
- egg: 1 lightly beat
1. Using a deep pot, heat oil to high.
2. Mix cornmeal, flour, baking soda and salt.
3. Stir in the onion.
4. In another bowl, mix the buttermilk and egg.
5. Pour liquid mix with the dry mix and blend.
6. One at a time, drop 1 tablespoon of the batter into the oil. (dip the spoon in a glass of water after each hushpuppy).
7. Turn the hushpuppies while they cook until they are golden brown.